Workshops and lectures
The contents of a lecture or workshop depend on time, resources and the participants' age, background and interests. Examples of what I can do, or usually do, are:
- 1.* Talk about my musical instrument building / sound sculptures / musical performance art with images and film clips, ideas and ideology.
Materials about this here. This can also work well as a point of departure for a concert, hands-on workshop or other lectures:
- 2.* Unusual entries into musical instrument acoustics, the backyards of instrument systematics, many inspiring examples in images, film and sounds.
This is a good introduction in its own right, or preferably if we have some time to work on building instruments.
- 3. Discussions about what improvisation is and why it can be interesting and important, possibly with different sound examples and questions for discussion.
Earlier lecture/essay version here. This is good as an introduction to people who are interested in, or want to study improvised music.
- 4. About surrealism and music, historically, ideologically, sound examples, discussion.
A long essay about this is still unpublished, but an excerpt is published in Hydrolith, published by Oyster Moon Press, and a short commentary is to be found here. This is for people who are interested in either of the two topics music and surrealism, or ideological/cultural discussions in general.
- 5. About being a musician/artist and what it can mean. What is a "professional"? What is music/art? Why are they important?
Some commentaries about this can be found in swedish here and in english here. Parts of this I usually include in no.s 1) and 4).
- 6.* Different practical playing exercises and games: what is improvisation and what is music in practice?
This is more of a playing workshop for practising musicians, but also for curious amateurs and non-musicians alike.
- 7.* Hands-on building of contact microphones (requires preparations, materials and tools).
More about it here. This is good for all kinds of experimental artists that want to expand their skills and possibilities in making new instruments, recordings or sound installations. Usually also a part of 8).
- 8.* Hands-on workshop in experimental musical instrument building (requires a bit more preparations, materials and preferably a workshop or a tool collection).
This needs preferably at least two days, although it's possible to achieve a little bit on one day as well. If there is more time, it is good to include sound walks, sound- and junk searches, playing exercises, preparing for and making a concert and making recordings. Ideally, at least a week's work is good for this, and it can be completed with more lectures and discussions, and cooperations with other artists.
- 9. How to play the saw.
Introduction to this can be found here. Bring as many saws and bows of different kinds as you can, and we'll make them sing!
- 10. Fylkingen and the avant-garde situation in scandinavia.
This was first held at 6 Festiwal Muzyki Improwizowanej Ad Libitum + 5 Festiwal Improwizacji Tanca Sic!, at Laboratorium, Centre For Contemporary Art (Centrum Sztuki Wspólczesnej – Zamek Ujazdowski), Warszawa 2011. It has been expanded and rewritten into an essay for the Fylkingen 80 years anniversary book coming out 2014.
- 11. Muzakblocker.
A lecture about sound pollution, the ideology of sound pollution and its possible remedies.
- 12. About Nothing or Death Doesn't Exist!
First version performed at Stocksunds Torp, as “Holeism - a spiritual materialism or Death doesn't exist. A sound performance around the hole in consciousness and in reality” 2012.
A developed version of this and the former was performed as A Whole Evening About Nothing, Silent Concert, Anti-Music, Film Show and Lecture, at Fylkingen 2012.
* A more detailed description, and a list on technical and other needs for options # 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 is found here.
Here are many examples in pictures and film clips from workshops and works with adults, young people and with children.
The welcome page.
This page updated the 9th of July, 2013.